The global event to which the whole world is invited
The 800th anniversary of the sealing of Magna Carta will be a commemoration of national and international significance. Due to its central place in English history and its impact across the world, a wide range of events and activities are being planned.
From specially commissioned BBC documentaries and books, to academic conferences, public exhibitions, local community events and a Magna Carta tourism trail, there will be hundreds of exciting events announced on this website. To keep informed about what is being planned , join the Magna Carta 800th mailing list.
A number of events for 2014 have already been announced, including:
- 14th February – 17th August: Hereford’s Magna Carta on display at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Click here for more details
- May: Lincoln’s Magna Carta on display at Bury St Edmunds. Click here for more details
- June: Lincoln’s Magna Carta begins tour of the USA. Click here for more details
- 7th June: Magna Carta interfaith conference at Temple Church, London. Click here for more details
- 15th June: A giant’s picnic at Runnymede. Click here for more details
- 17th June: the Annual Magna Carta Lecture at the Royal Holloway, University of London. Lecture by Professor Linda Colley on “Magna Carta in British History: Memory, Invention and Forgetting”. Click here for more details
- July and August: Magna Carta Anthem… over 1,000 miles on a bicycle. Click here to read more about how a Magna Carta anthem is to be delivered by hand to the key Magna Carta Towns by a vicar’s husband on a bicycle.
- 12th September: Launch of the new City of London Heritage Gallery, featuring Magna Carta and many more heritage treasures. Click here for more details.
- October: Magna Carta sound and light show in Bury St Edmunds. Click here for more details
- 8th November: Magna Carta will feature in the 2014 Lord Mayor’s Show – an event that dates back to the origins of Magna Carta itself. Click here for more details
More information about events being planned by key Magna Carta Towns and our partners is shown in the links to the left side of this page.
To be the first to hear of the preparations for the 800th Anniversary, please enter your name and email address.
Magna Carta, or as it is properly called the Great Charter of Liberty, was born on 15 June 1215 at Runnymede when King John – Bad King John as he is more commonly known – was persuaded to accede to a number of demands made...Read on...
- Junior Lawyers in Schools...
- Salisbury in Lonely Planet...
- University of West Indies...
- British Library Magna Carta...
- Salisbury Cathedral awarded grant...
- Magna Carta and Its...
By Sir Robert Worcester, Birmingham UK
- Why are there so...
- Magna Carta Battlefields
Preparations are underway for some truly memorable commemorations from major international conferences and exhibitions to local events and parties and a Magna Carta tour. To be the first to hear of these, sign up to the newsletter below.
Become a Supporter
There are a number of significant supporter opportunities. Register your interest early to ensure the widest range of options.
Find out more