The heritage of the past is the hope for the future
If the 800 years since Magna Carta have taught us anything, it is that when the lessons of history are learned by the young, then the mistakes of history are less likely to be repeated.
The 800th anniversary of the sealing of Magna Carta will provide an enormous opportunity for seeking active engagement from schools across the globe in the areas of history, citizenship and democracy. The last significant anniversary (in 1962) was well before the dawning of the internet and therefore was unable to benefit from the enormous possibilities that its global reach now provides. Students the world over can now have instant access to the very best in learning and digital imaging. Resources can be published, shared, discussed and accessed by classrooms from Canterbury to California.
In July 2013, the Department for Education published a framework document for the National Curriculum in England. The teaching of Magna Carta is relevant in both the citizenship and history parts of the National Curriculum. In history, Magna Carta is specifically mentioned in Key Stage 3; in citizenship, the principles promoted by Magna Carta are relevant to both Key Stage 3 and 4. For more information, click here.
- Hosting a Magna Carta Event this year? Need a speaker? Click here to download a list of renowned academics who are happy to be contacted about taking part in events in 2015.
- Our articles section features the latest in academic commentary on Magna Carta.
- The British Council has a dedicated Magna Carta website for teaching English
- The British Library has a Magna Carta website
- Explore Hereford Cathedral’s Magna Carta Mappa Mundi “explore” website
- The Magna Carta Project: a landmark investigation into Magna Carta 1215 and 1225 providing text, translations and expert commentaries, together with the itinerary and original charters of King John of England (1199-1216), provided by an academic team led by Professor Nicholas Vincent at the University of East Anglia.
- A dissertation on the enduring significance of Magna Carta over the last 800 years by Caroline Eele, University of Durham. Click Perceptions of Magna Carta – C Eele Dissertation to download.
- Essays from the Political Studies Association Each of these essays will be published on our website, here
- Professor Nigel Saul features on a podcast with the Diocese of Guildford Click here to listen.
- To mark the 750th anniversary of the De Montford Parliament & the Battle of Lewes UK Parliament has online educational resources & an audio drama. These videos can be played directly from Parliament’s website onto schools’ interactive whiteboards or computers and can be used to support existing lesson plans. Click here for more information
- Parliament has also released a Magna Carta video drama that can be used as an educational resource. These resources are suitable for Citizenship lessons exploring the origins of the rights of the people, or History, specifically as part of the KS3 ‘Magna Carta and the Emergence of Parliament’ curriculum. Click here for more information.
- For a list of academics who can be approached to comment on Magna Carta, please download the following: MC List of Academic 21 September 2014.
To be the first to hear of the preparations for the 800th Anniversary, please enter your name and email address.
790 years ago, John,the King of England was having a little local difficulty with his barons. His attempts to defend his extensive dominions across the Channel, including Normandy and a considerable portion of western France, had been a disaster...Read on...
- Emancipation and Magna Carta
- Terrorism and Tolerance -...
- Magna Carta
- Magna Carta Benches mark...
- ABA Magna Carta Memorial...
- Words from the Chancellor...
- Magna Carta returns from...
- Magna Carta and Comparative...
If you would like to keep informed about the work of the Magna Carta Trust and our partners, please sign up to the newsletter below.
Become a Supporter
There are a number of significant supporter opportunities. Register your interest early to ensure the widest range of options.
Find out more